Wednesday, 12 May 2010

My biggest quilt so far



As I'm not getting any sewing done at the moment I thought I would show off the biggest quilt I've made so far. I did it last summer and it is 70x80 inches.



I've made it for friends in Ireland and it actually has a name "Loony Limerick Ladies". If you ever met the girls it is going to you would understand why.



These aren't my colours at all and it came out a lot brighter than I originally planned. The girls moved into a new home a couple of years ago and last summer was the first time I saw it since they got it decorated and I could see their colour scheme. Reds and lilacs were the main colours so of course I didn't have anything like that in my stash. I ended up buying loads online and once they were all together it wasn't the pastel feast I had originally planned.

I pieced the back as well so it is reversable and a bit calmer on that side.



The quilting was straight line with my lovely walking foot. I had planned to do a freemotion stipple but I couldn't get the cotton I had bought to go. It is yli glazed machine thread but it was thicker than any I had used before and I didn't really like using it. Of course, I had brought 3 spools as I couldn't judge how much I would use and I didn't even use up 1 spool so I have loads of it left over! Typical.

It still hasn't gone to its home as I don't trust the post with it, it will go next time I go over for a weekend. My friends live near my family so I always get to see them when there is a family do on.

This is the only quilt I've made that I haven't washed, mainly because I don't think it will fit in my machine!

6 comments:

Quilting in My Pyjamas said...

You know what ? I actually really like the way the colours blend with one another one this quilt. It's different and a bit daring. Love the quilting too.

P.S. I have three spools of pink variegated thread lurking in my thread basket for exactly the same reason. They'll get used eventually....

A Garden of Threads said...

I like the colors, they make for a bright and cheerful quilt. On a cold rainy day a warm bright quilt is the best place to snuggle into, with a book and a cup of tea. Take care:)

Gerry said...

So happy to see your post.
Just mentioned the other day you hadn't posted in a while.

Hugs & ♥♥♥s,
Gerry

Shevvy said...

Thanks ladies. The colours have grown on me since I've made it but it took a while to get used to. cheers Shev

Martys Fiber Musings said...

This is a wonderful quilt....both front and back. Wish I could meet the girls....bet they are a fun group.

Shevvy said...

Thanks Marty, yep, they are fun; nuts but fun.