Sunday, 22 August 2010

Scrap management

I've mentioned before a bit about how I manage my scraps but as I've spent the last couple of days working on them I thought I would go into a bit more detail.


Above is the pile I've been working with. I sort my scraps into six categories and the plastics tubs are ideal. Here in London these are what we get our chinese takeaways in and they are very useful! Obviously too many slack teas as I have a whole pile of them!

1. Any big pieces like the edges of the backing after quilting I keep separately as they will be useful for binding at some point or for the centres of string blocks. 

2. I then keep leftover bits of binding aswell in one of the tubs.

3. Then I cut what I can into 2.5 inch squares. I'm saving these at the moment to make another scotty dog.

4. I am sorting my strings into colour sets as the next string quilt I want to make will be colour blocks rather than random like the two I've made so far.


5. Any roughly triangle shapes and the actual triangles trimmed from making binding are going towards making these wonky stars. I've been making loads of these blocks in the last few days, my tub had got so stuffed it looks like I haven't made a dent at all. But I promise I have. I use a 2 inch square as the base for them so they finish up quite small. The trimming is a pain but it comes good in the end. I am using the same cream and gold fabrics for the background and centres for all of them so only the points will be scrappy.



6. Finally any little crumbs bigger than about 1 inch square I save and make into these crumb blocks. They are finished at 3.5 square but sometimes I make a much bigger piece and then cut them down. Eventually I will turn them into a new top as well. In a few years when I have enough.


I know a lot of people would chuck them out when they get this small but I can't bring myself to. Even though I have stacks of good fabric untouched waiting to be cut into. I'm not this frugal in the rest of my life let me assure you!

Oh by the way, I am also saving the scraps of wadding/batting to use as stuffing in the scotty dog when I make it.

5 comments:

Cynthia L. said...

You are so orgainzed, it makes me jealous! I have two paper bags that I throw my scraps in and I hope for the best when I look for something.

For some reason, I have not been getting your updates. I would like to say that I love your pinwheel quilt that you have used as a header!!

Marg said...

Wow that's so organized. I don't have the patience to sew tiny scraps so they usually get binned. I do keep the larger scraps but they just get chucked in together. I think I'll take a leaf out of your book and try sorting them for future use.
The pinwheel quilt on your header is fabulous.

A Garden of Threads said...

Ohmygosh, You are so organized. I just keep dropping them into a bin. Take care.

Quilting in My Pyjamas said...

This is a much better system than mine, which involves shoving all my bits randomly into three bins until I cant find anything anymore !

Jessica said...

a scrap quilter after my own heart.. i think we've been doing the same thing but in two different homes, how silly (and nice) is that?