Wednesday, 18 August 2010

timber grey stars 1

I finished my first quilt in what feels like ages and here it is.


This was the top I was going to use for a backing but decided it was too good. It is around 36 x 52 inches before washing. I've heard that the denser the quilting the more it shrinks so I will see when it comes out of the machine.


As you can see I really went for it with the quilting to practise my free motion. The stitch lengths still leave a lot to be desire, but by the end of it I was feeling more confident. I had to made a mad dash to the shops to get more thread half way through as I didn't realise how much I would use, about 900 metres!


The backing is just a simple pattern from my stash of ones that I've brought especially for backing and it goes ok. I didn't get many puckers in the back either, another thing that is improving.  For the binding I used some of my scraps of the Timber fabric as well as some kona coal.

In real life it has a bit of a sheen to it, I don't know if that is due to the kona cotton, the quilting or just my mind playing tricks on me after spending so long on it quilting!!!

4 comments:

Anne-Lise at Rag, Tag, Bobtail said...

It looks lovely! I'm going to start free motion quilting - I think it looks great.

Quilting in My Pyjamas said...

Do you love it? I love it ! You were compeltely right when you decided this had to be a quilt front to shine all on it's own.

Shevvy said...

Thank you, I do love it. I have a bit of a mental block about visualising the quilting so I'm never quite sure how it is going to turn out.

Lizzet said...

It is fantastic! I so envy you, I wish I was that talented and design such great quilts!
I love the feeling when you just finish something, I am sure you are very happy with it ;)