Saturday, 11 September 2010

Faffing around

I haven't seemed to be able to focus on anything very constructive this week, instead I've just been faffing around with a few blocks here and there.

Firstly I decided to play with handstitched hexagons using 3/4 inch hexies and some of my tufted tweets scraps. I really like doing them but I made the mistake of using translucent thread. I thought I was oh so clever using this as I didn't have any red thread to use. It was horrible and took twice as long. Okay, it can't be seen but it twisted and turned like a wriggly eel. In future I will rather have my threads visible!


This will eventually be turned into some sort of cushion cover.

On the sewing machine I tried a technique for pineapple blocks that I found here http://shiny4444.blogspot.com/2010/08/karin-hellaby-creates-pineapple-blocks.html and let me say it worked a treat. I only did a couple of rounds as I was just trying it out. I'll add it to my todo list now for a full sized quilt.

These other blocks were just playing, I've no idea what I will do with them eventually!



I need to get on with some basting which is my least favourite part of the whole quilt process, hence the faffing around doing other things!!!

8 comments:

Quilting in My Pyjamas said...

It had never really occured to me to play with block designs before..yep I'm an idiot. I like the pointed star blocks, and all the others look great too.

I use sewing to avoid all sorts of things. At last count I had at oeast three quilts that were at the basting stage, so I hear you loud and clear on that score.

Marg said...

I'm an idiot too then, as I had never thought to play with block designs either. Good idea though, a great way to practice.
I have a quilt to bind now and I need to do it before the end of the month as it's for my mum for her birthday. I will probably leave it to the last minute. My least favourite part is basting, I loathe doing that.

Quilting in My Pyjamas said...

Shevvy and Marg,

We need to do Basting Party Sunday or something. That way we can all start basting our quilts at the same time and take hourly pictures of our progress. Motivation ladies...lol

Shevvy said...

Oh God, I thought I was safe from the march of General P being on the other side of the world! Marg was a shell of herself when she had the sew in!
Might be a good idea to get something done though, I have about 8 tops to finish off!

Quilting in My Pyjamas said...

Don't make me crack that whip!

Shevvy said...

I'm scared now!

quiltfool said...

Great blocks. I have a bag full of "play" blocks. Bonnie Hunter used these to piece together for a quilt back. I think I'd like to do that one day. Lane

Aunt Spicy said...

Totally love the little hex's!