Friday, 24 September 2010

Favourite things friday


I first read The Hobbit at around seven, then got my hands on The Lord of the Rings at about the age of 10/11. I remember it took me about 3 months to finish it and I only achieved that because I was laid up in bed sick for a week.

I love it so much. It took me to another world, where magic and fantasy existed, where the littlest people became the greatest heroes, where good eventually triumphed! I loved the many dimensions the story had and the pathos. The sense of history, the poems and the comedy.  The Hobbit had a dragon as well. I've always loved dragons!

I have lost track of how many times I've read it over the years. I even have it on audio cassette but I can't listen to that anymore as I don't have a cassette player. I really much get it on CD.

I enjoyed the films a lot, but they aren't anywhere as good as the book. Especially as they made really silly changes in some places.

If I could only ever read one book again in my life it would be this one (or really all three books that make up the full volume).

Head over to Mrs P for more Favourite Things Friday. http://fairybreadmusings.blogspot.com/

7 comments:

Seams Inspired said...

My boys and I are reading Book One right now! We love it too. I can totally understand why this would be a favorite. Thanks for sharing. Happy FTF! :o) Larri at Seams Inspired

Michelle said...

Oh yes, The Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings are a special memory for me from childhood. I devoured them. When my mom was still teaching, she'd read The Hobbit to her 4th graders. It was such a good book for teaching them to use their imaginations--so important since many of them rely on TV, and failed to understand that when you read, you're supposed to get pictures in your head.

I didn't watch the movies. I started to, and could immediately tell that although they were beautifully done, they didn't match the pictures in my head, nor follow the story line as closely as I would have liked. (I find that's true with a lot of books made into movies.)

Terrific FTF post! Thanks for bringing back my own special memories.

Quilting in My Pyjamas said...

Isn't it wonderful when you read a book (or books ) and it stays with you for life?

I always find that when that happens the movie is NEVER what you imagined in your head, because you've created your own movie while you've been reading.

I love that you get so much pleasure from these books. I re-read favourites multiple times too!

Happy FTF and thanks for sharing these with us.

A Garden of Threads said...

My kids read those books, but I have not. Books are great friends to have.

Sarcastic Quilter said...

Mmm, my boy is a movie fan but I've been trying to get him to read the books. Maybe this year. :D

Amanda said...

I am a sci fi and fantasy feak from way back and I read the lord of the rings but I just didn't enjoy it. I tried to read it again a few years ago and I just couldn't but there are plenty of other books that I love to death and re read often and I can totally understand why these are your favourite things.

Annabelle said...

Haven't thought about these books in a long time - since the children turned to more adult literature but think I may recommend them to my book club next month. Thanks for the inspiration.