Monday, 4 October 2010

Some oldies

Nothing interesting going on here so I thought I would show you some more of my quilts I made last year.

These two were made for my Mum. The first was made from a moda Jelly Roll and using a pattern from Jelly Roll Quilts. This went together really easily and I just straight line quilted it and I was very pleased with how it came out. I also felt I had cracked machine stitching the binding with this one, I didn't get any mistakes on the back of this one.



This one was made using all sorts of old fabric I had collected years ago when I nearly started quilting and then didn't. This was made with blocks made from 16 2inch squares and 8 inch pattern blocks and was a great practise quilt for working on my piecing skills. I free motion quilted it with a loopy pattern and it was all great until I washed it and then for the first time I got some fabric bleed into the white fabric. Mostly it was on the back so it isn't that noticable and my Mum doesn't mind at all.



I did learn to use colour catchers in the wash though. Despite this I still don't pre-wash my fabric as I have lots of small bits and the thought of all the ironing involved seems like far too much effort. I haven't had any problems since so I am prepared to take the risk!

Both of these ended up at 40 x 60 inches.

4 comments:

quiltfool said...

Lovely quilts!! Bleeding is a perpetual problem and is not always aleviated by prewashing. A couple years ago, I washed my entire stash and put the tiny bits in a lingerie bag so they wouldn't ravel. Still ironing as I need them, tho. Lane

Quilting in My Pyjamas said...

Love both these quilts. So different to each other but very beautiful.

It is my biggest fear that one of these days I'll have a bleed after I've finished. I tend to wash anything I can before I start but you cant really do that with charm packs.

Marg said...

Both quilts are lovely, I have been thinking of making the first one, as a very nice person gave me the Jelly Roll book for my birthday, and I have so many jelly rolls in my stash.
I still don't feel confident enough to piece a whole quilt using 2" squares, maybe one day.
I particularly like the backing on the first quilt.
I have not washed anything I have made, so haven't had that problem yet. After reading lots and lots on pre washing v not washing, I have decided to not pre wash and cross my fingers.

Annabelle said...

Hi Shevvy, lovely quilts - shame about the bleeding. I tend to use dark colours on the back and hope that it just does not happen - like you I HATE ironing and would do almost anything not to have to do more than is necessary.