Thursday, 6 January 2011

Hand Sewing

I haven't really got room to do any sewing on my quilts at the moment as my dining room is full of my Aunts stuff while I get it sorted out.

Luckily, before all this started I had prepared a lot of hexagons and was just getting ready to start hand sewing them into the little flowers.

These are the ones I've done so far.



Progress is slow but every now and again they help calm my mind from all the family stress.

These are all from scrap 2.5 inch squares and they use a 1 inch template. I haven't decided what I am going to do with them yet. Part of me is thinking about using applique to put them onto background squares, alternatively using a background colour to create a line of hexies around each one.

And what background colour to use? It has to be dark I think, I was thinking black but it might be too harsh. My default would be dark green or brown but that might be too samey. Plum or blue? Who knows, I've got a long way to go before I make a decision.

4 comments:

Michelle said...

Lovely! I, too, find hand-piecing relaxing.

I'm very fond of black myself. It has the ability to set off just about any color.

Shay said...

Hand sewing is not my favourite thing so I admire your patience. (specially at one inch!)

Your stack is looking lovely.

Marg said...

Wow, I'm not sure I would have the patience for hand sewing 1" hexies. They look fabulous all laid out. When you are ready, just try different backing colours and one will stand out as the best!

quiltfool said...

I find that kind of paper piecing to be so relaxing. Things sound stressful right now. Hang in there and be sure to give yourself some "me" time, too, when you just let it all go. Lane