Friday, 28 January 2011

Favourite Things Friday

I'm joining back in with Mrs P on Favourite Things Friday. Check her out for more favourites http://fairybreadmusings.blogspot.com/2011/01/favourite-things-friday_28.html.

When I was 12 I went on a school skiing trip to Italy. I absolutely hated the skiing and managed to dislocate my elbow at the end of the first day, it was a total blessing as I didn't have to ski anymore and instead could enjoy myself enjoying the scenery. I had never seen mountains before and thought they were wonderful. I haven't any pics of these because they are so awful.

Then, when I was 16 I went on another trip to Italy on a coach tour. I have a wonderful memory of driving through the night then waking up at dawn after coming through a long tunnel to snow covered mountains. This pic is a bit rubbish as it was taken through a coach window half asleep but it gives you the idea.


Then for the next three years I had summer holidays in the Alps. No snow to worry about then, just beautiful scenery. Switzerland was picture perfect, just like you would imagine it would be.




Austria had more interesting towns like Salsburg and Innsbruck, but still lovely mountains.



For some reason after that, I didn't go anywhere on holidays where I got to enjoy the mountain air until last summer. Cruising to Norway, day trips into the countryside, mountains, waterfalls! Perfect.



Of course, as much as I love experiencing them, I don't think I'd manage very well living there. I'm a soft city girl at heart, and the thought of driving up some of those mountain passes! It makes me nauseous just thinking about it!

10 comments:

Marg said...

Waaaaaaa why does Australia have to be so far from Europe, it's not fair.
I went to Europe for the first time in Sept 2009, the scenery was spectacular, a highlight was standing on the top of Mt Pilatus and looking at the 360 deg views of beautiful snow covered mountains and the valleys far down below. Simply breathtaking.
I certainly wouldn't want to drive up one of those mountains I would definitely get car sick!

Shay said...

Lovely photo's Shev. They look like they should be in a travel brochure.

I've never been to Europe. I should have gone backpacking when I was younger but was too busy foolishly getting married and having a child. (Duh- forehead smacking moment )

You're so lucky everything is close to the UK. And yes I'd probably crap bricks going down some of those mountain goat trails. All the places you mentioned seem so exotic to me !

P. said...

Great FTF! All my favorite vacations have involved mountain air and all the scenery that involves. Saw a bit of those mountains in southern Germany. If you ever get to Montana, Glacier National Park is especially beautiful too.

Nanci said...

Come to Canada, we have the Rockies, and we love, love Aussies. I agree with european mountains, we loved the mountains in spain.

Cynthia L. said...

These photos are lovely. Funny, I have been to many of the places you are speaking of. I loved Switzerland and Austria.

When I was 16 my family went on a skiing trip in Austria. My grandmother was alive at the time and went with us. After the first day of falling for hours, I decided to stay with my gradmother. We would walk around town and then end up in a small restaurant and get a glass of warm wine! I like it better than skiing!

Anytime you would like to see the Appalacian mountains - come on over to WV!

Thea said...

I love your pictures! and I have to say I agree with the skiing .. it's much easier to enjoy the views when you aren't worried about getting down the mountain.

Kirsten's Cooking said...

I am echoing shay's sentiment - we were busy getting married and having kids young, too. I hope we can travel once we're empty-nesters...
thanks for ideas for the future!

So glad you're able to travel - thanks for sharing.

Logopaedchen/Kirsten said...

I share your passion for the mountains. I grew up in a small town right next to the Alps and basically learnd skiing in Kindergarten...still like the mountains - but have to say I love the ocean.

Sarcastic Quilter said...

Beautiful pictures and such a wonderful favorite. thank you for sharing

Kate said...

Beautiful pictures thet are obviously great memories for you. Great FTF.