Saturday, 30 April 2011

Long weekend ups and downs

I was planning to raise a glass of champers or two to celebrate the wedding after watching it on telly (much more comfty than traipsing up to westminster) and spend the rest of the long weekend sewing.

But, the downs sometimes come. Another aunt has died in Ireland and I'm off to the funeral in the morning. She was a mad old bird with 7 kids, 20 grandkids and 7 great grandkids. Today would have been her 80th birthday, so its such a shame she didn't make it. She lived in London for a long time and I grew up with her youngest son and oldest granchild. In fact we all went to school together.

I was thinking about her a lot yesterday morning watching the wedding as when Charles and Di got married we all went en masse to her house as she was the only one of the family in London with a colour telly. It made me realise how far we have all come since then and how much easier our lives our now. No one in my generation have any appreciation of the poverty my Mum and her siblings grew up in and even how tough it was for them just a few decades ago. The things we have available to us now to make our lives easier would have been totally inconceivable to them then.

So while watching I thought of her as I knew she was very bad. But she has had a lot of health scares for the last 20 years and pulled through against all the odd so I suppose I was expecting the same to happen again. Sadly this time she didn't pull through.

The old guard are fading away for my family. She is the 3rd sister we have lost in 6 months and also the generation above have all gone with my last great aunty dying as well a couple of months ago.

My Mum was born no 11 or 13 kids and her Mum was the eldest of 10. Now there are only my Mum and 2 sisters left of that generation above mine. Thats the trouble with an enormous family, you never have trouble filling up a party, but eventually you loose them and they do seem to go in groups.

Rest in Peace Aunty Mary xx

3 comments:

Shay said...

So sorry to hear about Aunt Mary passing away.

My Nan was one of 13 and 3 of them passed away in one year . It's so sad when the generations start to fade away like that.

Thinking of you ...

Judith said...

So sorry to hear about your loss. Sounds like you have lots of lovely memories to remember her by. Take your time grieving. Jxo

Michelle said...

Shevvy,

I'm very sorry for your loss. I've been MIA (missing in action) for awhile now, and it seems the last time I was reading your blog, you'd just suffered a loss.

Safe travels, my friend.