Sunday, 24 April 2011

Pyjama Party Sunday

Marg is hosting a pj party so head over to her at http://sunshineparadiseplease.blogspot.com/2011/04/pyjama-party-sunday_24.html for some more fun.

I have to confess I didn't spend all day in my Pjs, but I did most of yesterday so hopefully that counts.

I got a few more string blocks finished and a bunch of my paper piece blocks for Sarcastic Quilters QAL, none of which I actually remembered to photograph! Ah well.

I also tackled the big white elephant in the corner of the room - well not actually white but yellow with coloured blades. Yes, I went to quilt one of my dresden blocks for Lynnes QAL.

I started by straight line quilting the inner and outer circles and then the blades from the inner circle out to the first border. Then I went for the centre - which if I do say so myself came out quite well. I used a template to get the inner flower shape and the first round of petals then just followed on from that.


I was going to do the blades in a zigzag from the centre out, but after doing 3 I realised it wasn't working and had to unpick! Yuck. But, I'm glad I did because my second attempt worked so much better and was easier. I FMQ'd a loopy pattern through the blades to the first border. This is one corner.


I then straightlined around both sides of the first colour border and left the outer border for joining my blocks. This is what it looks like from behind where you can see the pattern more.


Then I went to the V&A to see an exhibition on "The Cult of Beauty: The Aesthetic Movement 1860-1900". What does it say about me that I kept seeing quilting patterns in the designs!

As usual there was always something new to discover in this wonderful place. This was a set of tiles but I could see a beautiful quilt in this.


And a whole new area that I hadn't seen before that must have been a courtyard of something before being covered over with glass.



And after all that, I didn't even eat any chocolate! How good am I? Well it's only because I don't see my Mum until tomorrow and get my egg then. Hope you enjoyed your holiday weekend, however you celebrate.

5 comments:

Leanne said...

Your quilting is spectacular!

Cynthia L. said...

Wow, your quilting is really great! I didn't realize you were so talented at machine quilting. I missed Marg's PJ party, :(

Marg said...

Your quilting is fabulous, wow. I love what you have done.
I look at everything now with patterns in mind, too.
Thank you for joining in on PJ PS.

Baa-Me Kniits said...

Wow your FM quilting is Awesome!!! Fantastic and such inspiration for us non quilters :-)

Shay said...

No chocolate? Are you mad girl?

Shev, that quilting is magical. It really looks amazing. I've just sat here staring at it for 5 full minutes.

Those tiles just steeled my resolve to make a civil war quilt as some stage. I have no idea why!

Fantastic craftiness going on at your place!