Thursday, 8 September 2011

First ever zip

I forgot to post about this cushion before I went to the spa - I guess all I could think about then was what treatments I was going to have.


This is the first needlepoint I've finished in ages. I used to do a lot more before catching the quilting bug. For some reason, even though I love hand stitching I don't ever want to do it with quilting (especially for binding).

The cushion was from a kit I got ages ago and what makes it extra special is this is the first one I've ever finished off and turned into a cushion. I have a whole bag of stuff at the top of the wardrobe of various needlepoints that stretch back 25 years! None of them have been framed or turned into something useful. I have framed embroideries and cross stitch but it is expensive and I keep putting it off.

The other reason I never make a cushion cover was as I was scared of messing it up. I finally decided to go for it as I found a load of material tucked away that was leftover from some curtains for my Mum made about 18 years ago! I realised it would be perfect backing for the cushions. I also decided to tackle putting a zip into it.


Well, from the picture it doesn't look too bad, but I got into a dreadful pickle with the zip. I read the instructions that came with the machine but it was total gobble-de-gook. I looked online for tutorials which I thought made sense, but it all went horribly wrong. However, in the end it looks okay and I think I learned some lessons so the next one should be easier. Now to start working through all the old pieces....

8 comments:

Sarah said...

Hahaha, yeah, next one should be easier, that's exactly what I'm telling myself too! Looks good though, and its gorgeous needlework on the front :-)

Helsie said...

Looks fine to me. I have to adit that when I need a zip for cushions , I use ... velcro !!Chicken , I know !!!
Cheers
Helen

Helsie said...

I meant "admit" not adit ! When will I ever learn to proofread !!

Leanne said...

No need to fear the zipper! I love your needlepoint, I hope to see some of your other treasures become pillows too.

Anne-Lise at Rag, Tag, Bobtail said...

Lovely work, just my colours! The zip looks fine, i am not fond of them either.

Marg said...

It's lovely, and the zip looks fine!

Shay said...

That cushion is so pretty. Way to go on the finish.

I have still never inserted a zip...and I probably never will. Your zip attempt looks fine to me !

Michelle said...

It looks awesome! What a beautiful cushion! Way to go on the zipper. :-)