Saturday, 15 October 2011

Are you a joiner?

Ever since I started quilting a couple of years ago, I wondered whether I should join a quilting group. I found out quite early on that the few near me have waiting lists of at least a year so I never got round to it but I still had it in the back of my mind.

Today I went to an exhibition of one of the local groups and I really enjoyed looking at there work - but I also realised, I don't want to join.

I even chatted to a few members and they were very nice and friendly, but I really didn't feel I had anything in common with them. They were all white, middle aged and above and middle class. It was like a stereotype of the Woman's Institute! I just couldn't see that apart from loving quilting we would have anything in common.

And even there, most of the work displayed fell into the traditional category. Don't get me wrong, I love those as well, but I also love modern and basically, just want to try everything. I didn't even feel most of my quilts would have fit in.

Then again, I've never been much of a joiner or a follower anyway, I've always been know for toddling off down my own path no matter what other people thought.

And now I can cross the idea off my list, I can still keep an eye out for the shows to go and enjoy them like I did today but without the nagging thought that "should I be part of this" going on.

What about you? Do you join?

8 comments:

Marg said...

No I'm not a joiner. I like to do my own thing. I like going to quilt shows but I don't think I would like to join into a regular group either.

I think you just dissed me, lol

Shay said...

I was invited to join a charity quilting group about two years ago but Im not a joiner either . I like the idea of a quilting group, but like you Shevvy I'm not sure I'd have a lot in common aside from quilting and like Marg I like to do my own thing!

Michelle said...

I've toyed with the idea of joining a guild, but I never have either. It just never seemed convenient.

Sarah said...

Yeah. I think I should, but as much as company and a blether with someone who "gets it" appeals, I'm not so into the sharing what you're doing etc. I like to do my thing I guess.

Helsie said...

For me a Quilting Group would be too intimidating. They are obsessed with quilting and quilt for 24 hours a day. I quilt a little , crochet a little..... plus lots of other things.
I am a member of a Piecemakers Group ( through CWA )which is a one day a month commitment which includes a bit of sewing for charity as well as learning new quilting skills and chatting ( a lot !)which suits me fine. Love looking at lots of quilts just don't want to make hundreds, just a few, as I find a need/use for them and prefer to do my own thing. But knowing that my group is there to help me if I need advice is great.
Cheers

Sheila said...

I started out my quilting life by joining a local group - lots of lovely ladies but also members of the quilt police!!
I have some real life quilting friends to share with, I have classes full of lovely people and of course now feel part of the online community so best of all worlds now.

Anne-Lise at Rag, Tag, Bobtail said...

I joined the guild here when we moved (never belonged to one previously) in the hope of getting to know people here. I have met some people I blogged with anyway which has been fun and the meetings where we have learned new skills are good, too. And I know I can get help if I should need it. But I don't want to feel like I haven't done my homework if I haven't got anything to show! :-) So now I go if there is something interesting going on.

thea said...

I've thought about joining, but haven't gone any further than that. My niece belongs to a guild that sounds good, but i don't think I'd join unless I already knew someone..