Friday, 28 October 2011

Bloggers Quilt Festival

I missed the last bloggers quilt festival for some reason so am pleased to be taking part again this time around.

I had two quilts to choose between, but in the end went with Scraptastic. I love using my scrap pieces and try to do something with even the smallest pieces. I save all my little triangles, even the bits you get when joining binding strips together and it is surprising how quickly they built up. I didn't start out with a plan, but decided to start piecing them into the corners of a 3x4 inch white block and put them together like this.


After I built up a few blocks of 16 I started looking around at my other scraps and realised I had a lot of long strings from trimming backings that I wasn't really making a dent on so I thought I could border the white blocks with them. I still didn't have much of a plan and then I made a quilt where the blocks were quilted before being joined and I fell in love with the technique. It was so much easier to FMQ a little block than a full quilt so I had a play with one of the blocks and tried out feather for the first time. It didn't really matter if I messed it up, this was a scrap piece anyway. It came out better than I expected and I then did a loopy repeat around the border pieces.



I carried on with the blocks and it was a great way to practise the feathers, by the end I was feeling really comfortable with them. When it came to joining them all together I went with a white sashing which worked well I thought with the centres. Even the binding was made from scraps left over from other quilts.

So this is what my Scraptastic Quilt turned out like


And the back shows up the quilting really well.


For lots and lots of fabulous quilts check out the list at Amys blog.


Amy'sCreativeSide

35 comments:

jodi@Pleasant-Home said...

LOVE the quilting on this quilt. Fabulous!

selfsewn@summerfete said...

Wow this is so unusual, love your colour choices.

notes of sincerity said...

Wow! Your quilt is gorgeous!

MN2NM said...

Fantastic! I love the modern look of the scraps in the corners and the traditional look of the feathers. A perfect combo! I'm looking forward to trying the quilt-as-you-go method. Thanks for sharing!

Lonci said...

That is absolutely beautiful:)

fallingforpieces said...

Fabulous quilting! I'm a total scrap hoarder as well. I just can't bear to waste fabric I love!

Shay said...

I love those feathers Shevvy. You did a brilliant job and the quilt is gorgeous.

Cathy said...

What a great idea. A way to practice and still get a quilt out of it at the end.

Anonymous said...

love the quilt!

Margaret
www.quiltsoflove.blogspot.com

Leanne said...

This is wonderful, I especially love all that quilting!

Becky said...

Wow! I love it! It really highlights your amazing free motion quilting! Great job!

Shari said...

What a great way to practice and then get a quilt at then end. Looks lovely.

Anne-Lise at Rag, Tag, Bobtail said...

It's beautiful! I love the quilting.

Karen said...

Your scraptastic quilt looks great. I love the way you put it together and the quilting looks great, too.

Eileen said...

Wow! You sure play well with fabric scraps. Very impressivr and love how your feathers and other fmq came out. Thanks for sharing and have a great day

Michelle said...

A gorgeous quilt! And your feather quilting is simply fantastic. What a fun project. :-)

Dana Gaffney said...

That is really beautiful, what a great way to practice.

Jane said...

Wow! What a totally cool quilt! Thanks for sharing your idea.

Kathy said...

You did a terrific job piecing the sections together. The free motion feathers are amazing! I bet you are glad you completed this lovely quilt!

Shocking Hocking said...

that's brill - well done

Kit Lang said...

Wonderful quilting, thanks for sharing. :)

judith said...

GREAT JOB !!!

Sarcastic Quilter said...

This is marvelous. Thank you so much for showing how you put it together but I'm not sure this mere mortal can pull off the accomplishment as well as you have. :)

Ethne said...

What a great quilt - and doing QAYG was perfect to be able to create such super quilting - oh how I wish I could do feathers ;o]

Kristy Armstrong said...

Beautiful!!

Jean said...

Oh wow, that is a beautiful quilt. Your quilting is amazing! Love the scrappy addition to the corners, too!

Lisa at Sun Naturals said...

Wow! That is beautiful! I have some large scraps I was going to use to practice my FMQ. It didn't occur to me to quilt as I go and have something to show for it. Thanks for the idea!

Deborah O'Hare said...

The quilting on this is beautiful. It gives it wonderful movement.

Beth said...

Oh the hours you have in the quilting alone!!! Love the quilting and the quilt!!! and the back is nearly- ok... really as pretty as the front.

Sandy said...

I love a great improv quilt. And your quilting is amazing! You made a follower out of me! :)

Staci said...

This is an amazing quilt! WOW!! Thanks for sharing it!

Little Island Quilting said...

Wow - this is just Gorgeous with most definitely a capital G!

Maureen T. said...

Your quilt is cool and the quilting is fantastic!

snippetsandyarns said...

Great use of all your tiny scraps! I need to look into the quilt as you go method. I don't think I'd ever be able to manage a full size quilt with FMQ. I mostly stick to straight lines.

Martha said...

Beautiful quilting...thank you for sharing