Friday, 9 December 2011

Favourites thing friday

Its Friday's linky party again and for more fav head over to our hostess Mrs P at http://fairybreadmusings.blogspot.com/2011/12/favourite-things-friday_09.html.

My fav this week is live theatre. I've been going fairly regularly since my Mum took me for my 16th Birthday to see Me and My Girl with Emma Thompson and Robert Lindsay. He was a much bigger star than her in those days (can we still remember Power to the People?)

I like pretty much all genres, Shakespeare, musicals, comedies, tragedies, old and modern. Good theatre, can make you happy, sad, laugh til your belly hurts and weep buckets, sometimes all in one play. The best actors can somehow create an electric charge in the place that is mesmerising and you can feel down your spine.

Over the last few years my visits are a lot more erratic. Because I am a freelance contractor, I can't plan very far in advance when I'm not working as I might get a contract too far away and waste the tickets but then also when I am working, I'm nearly always too far away.

I haven't worked now since August and probably won't until the Spring when I know there is a job for me so I finally got myself a bit organised and booked some tickets.

Over the last few weeks I've seen:

Two Irish plays, "The playboy of the western world" and "Juno and the Paycock". Despite my Irish heritage, somehow these were the first Irish plays I've seen. Each of them had one of the Cusack sisters starring in them which was a bit spooky. They are both from the 1920 era but the language wasn't any different to what you would hear in Irish country pubs today. I enjoyed them both, but Playboy was less serious and more fun.

A farce, One Man Two Govnors. This stars James Corden and he was very very good. I laughed a lot but there was a lot of slapstick in it which isn't for me. I was very much in the minority, but I don't find it funny when an character who is supposed to be 87 gets slapped around and pushed down the stairs and doors slammed in their face. I know there is a great deal of skill to it but I could have done without those parts.

A contemporary play, Jerusalem. This stars Mark Rylance. Now you may not know who he is as he doesn't do much film work, but he was the first artist director of The Globe when it opened and was there until a few years ago. The pundits have him down as the best actor of the age; I agree. I saw him at the Globe doing Richard II and it was amazing. Not long after I saw Kevin Spacey also played Richard II at The Old Vic and was nothing in comparison.

In Jerusalem he plays a monstrous, alcoholic drug dealer. A character than doesn't appear to have any redeeming features, yet by the end I felt sorry for him, but only because of the performance. Its a difficult play with a lot of swearing and long, but one that will stay in my memory for a long time.

9 comments:

Michelle said...

It is so terrific that you are finding the time to indulge one of your passions. I've never been to live theatre. You have given me something to consider!

Sarah said...

Ok now I am really green... Oh to live near a city... lol

Shay said...

I don't get to as much theatre as I would like (basically because I'd have to hold a gun to Mr. P's head to get him there )Like Michelle I think it's wonderful you're doing something you enjoy so much. Do you ave friends who enjoy the theatre or do you go it alone?

You're so lucky to have access to great theatre productions where you live. I waited about 16 years to see Miss Saigon.

Marg said...

That's great that you have been able to see some excellent performances. That's another reason I want to live in the city. Not having to plan months in advance to drive an hour and a half to the city and then either stay in a hotel for the night and drive home the next day or drive home very late at night.
I love going to live theatre too, but haven;'t been to much at all lately.

thea said...

I love live theatre too! Don't get to go much but I still love it.

Larri @ Seams Inspired said...

LOVE this favourite, Shevvy! I adore live theatre, though rarely get the chance to attend. My husband would rather be strung up by his toes than go to the theatre. You're so fortunate to have access to all those lovely plays. Thanks for sharing. Happy FTF! ☺

Suzanne said...

How wonderful that you live where you can indulge a favorite pasttime. I may have to see what avenues are available for live theatre where I live.

Michelle Ridgway said...

I love live theatre too...nothing like it. Glad you are doing something you really enjoy.

Annabelle said...

You sure do get out! I used to love my life but after a year of serious illness I am only now attempting short trips out and the odd meal away from home. Would love to get back to the theatre - lucky you.