Sunday, 4 December 2011

Finally some sewing mojo back

I haven't had much, but I did make this bag for my niece this weekend. She surprised me no end by saying she like Cath Kidson stuff. She is a teenage girl who is usually on the grungy end of fashion so I was really taken aback by it.

I found a fat quarter set in John Lewis so just went for it. It turned out around 12 x 16 inches which I think is a good size. I cut old jeans into 2.5 inch squares to make the main body and then straight stiched to help reinforce the seams as denim frays very easily.

I put some velcro in the outer pockets and made some inner pockets for the first time. It all turned out better than I expected. It probably isn't big or robust enough for school as they had to carry so much around all the time, but should be good enough for taking her ipad around. Assuming she like it, by Christmas she may have gone of the Cath Kidson anyway!

Sorry for the rubbish pics, but its been so dark today nothing I could do improved them...


8 comments:

Sheila said...

That didn't take you long!

Shay said...

I love denim bags . They last forever and look so cool. Im sure your niece will love it. Did you use a pattern or just wing it? Im thinking I may give one of those a go.

Shocking Hocking said...

fabulous bag - gawd i remember bags made from jeans from around the 70's

Helsie said...

Looks lovely. The denim was a great idea to go with the pretty stuff. Should suit her perfectly.
Well done!
Cheers

Leanne said...

It's a wonderful bag, and no one will have one like it. I expect it will be a hit.

Marg said...

Great bag love the patchwork denim, and I love the fabrics you used for the lining, so pretty.

Michelle said...

Totally awesome! If she doesn't like it, I'll gladly take it off your hands! ;-)

Anne-Lise at Rag, Tag, Bobtail said...

Lovely, I'm sure she will be pleased.