Tuesday, 28 February 2012

Belated Valentines

The wonderful new London Modern Quilt Guild set a challenge at the last meeting to make something to do with Valentines.

Well, not being the romantic sort and an old maid to boot I decided to ignore it. One of the principals of this guild is to do what you are comfortable with, so ignore it I did, for weeks. Valentines came and went...

Then this weekend I got an idea stuck in my head. I have been following Diane Gaudynski for a while and  this post on free motion  feathers stuck with me. http://www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com/2012/02/february-2012-fmq-challenge-tutorial.html

Suddenly in my head I saw a feathered heart, this could be done for the challenge. But not in pink or red, oh no! So I picked the first solid I found hanging around in my dining/sewing room and found a variegated yellow aurifil 50 to go with it and made this....




Sorry about the photo but I couldn't get the lighting right to show the stitching. Its about 16 x 16 inches.

I have to admit, I am really pleased with how it turned out. I have no idea what I am going to do with it now, it could be a mini, but it won't match my colour scheme. Same if I turned it into a cushion cover. I thought maybe a bag panel? One day I will decide, but in the meantime it can go in the UFO pile.

7 comments:

Anne-Lise at Rag, Tag, Bobtail said...

Wow! It's lovely! I hope one day to be able to do FMQ and get a result like that!

Di said...

That isn't FMQ, that is showing off!! I am jealous :) Di xo

Shay said...

That is AMAZING. I cant believe how far your FM skills have come (and Im slightly green with envy as well

LOVE the idea of a FM feather heart....genius.

Wendz said...

I think that is sooo cool! Your FMQ-ing is brilliant. Why not use it as the back panel on a cushion cover.

Tammy said...

Holy Smokes! Your heart shaped echo feathers are very beautiful. You have a real talent for feathers, they just float on the fabric. Bravo..a most excellent job!

Leanne said...

That is such beautiful quilting!

sydthewyd said...

It's absolutely stunning and I'm still totally in awe! Have you decided what to do with it?