Tuesday, 20 March 2012

Bits and bobs

I have no excuse for not posting in over a week, just for some reason I kept thinking to myself, I'll do that later and later didn't come until now.

I certainly haven't been overachieving like some people I could mention (hmm, Mrs P) but have a few bits to share.

Firstly - shopping. My greatest skill/vice! Thanks to Annie at http://www.thevillagehaberdashery.co.uk/ my credit card took another hit.

She has this stack of Garden Wall range which has really mad prints including these two.




I also gave in and got myself some Melody Miller Ruby Star Shining. I have hesitated over this as it is so pricey, but I saw some in real life a few weeks ago and liked the texture so went for a stack. Don't you love the clocks and typewriters?




But what I needed most was these. Old age is creeping up and I had real trouble a few weeks ago threading my needle when doing my hexies.


I had a play at making a name tag for the Fat Quarterly Retreat Swap. I can't show the front which is best as it isn't great but I was pleased with how I constructed the badge part. I used heavy sew-in interfacing to give it structure and stitched a basting pin to the back. I will have to have another play soon.


I also made this mini, inspired by our LMQG challenge. It caused me so many problems. This was the first time I used a black solid and I couldn't get the quilting right. I unpicked 3 different colours and styles before the final version. I wanted to have shooting stars and imagined the quilting to be the star trails, but it looked rubbish. You can see it in the bottom left of the picture.


In the end I went for this grey and FMQ swirls and stars.


Finally I have another corner of the paper piecing quilt put together with all the paper pulled out. That means I'm half way through. Hooray.

7 comments:

Cynthia L. said...

I love using black in quilts, I think it makes the colors pop. I think grey for the quilting and love the stars!

Your fabrics are so vibrant and beautiful. We don't have many quilt shops here and I have been looking on-line for some fabric. I like to touch it and see it in real life. You made some wonderful choices. What are your plans for them?

Shay said...

In my own defence I didn’t do anything for weeks...I was trying to catch up!

Lovely new fabrics. I’ll be watching to see what you do with them. I think that lot will make very colourful quilts. Im becoming more fond of “novelty “ type fabric lately with cute cakes, and clocks and towers on it.

Im pretty much fed up with trying to poke thread into needles even with my glasses. Could be time to give in and start using a needle threader here too.

Im crushing on your FM...and I keep meaning to start a wonky stars quilt (if only I could finish something else first !)

Shocking Hocking said...

wow - that paper piecing looks very complex - and love your fabric purchases

Marg said...

Wow love the quilting on your shooting stars, it's fantastic.
I use a you beaut Sewline needle threader these days, because there is no way I can thread the finer needles without it.

Anne-Lise at Rag, Tag, Bobtail said...

The swirls and stars look lovely with the pink stars - perfect!

Leanne said...

I love how you quilted the star quilt! And both those fabric stacks are wonderful, I want them both too.

ScissorsandThread said...

Ohh that Melody Miller is gorgeous, love the typewriters.