Sunday, 27 May 2012

Only 6 more sleeps to go!

And then lots of us will be meeting up at the Fat Quarterly Retreat.

Fat Quarterly

It seems like I have been looking forward to it forever, as soon as I knew it was being held in London I was committed to going. I am in awe of how far some people are travelling to come to it, I'm not sure I would have gone the other way.

I'm not feeling in the least bit nervous, just very excited. This year I've been involved in the London Modern Quilt Guild and those meetings are so much fun and its so easy to talk to everyone I imagine the weekend will be like that only bigger.

My only worry is not getting time to talk to everyone I want to meet. I know I have an advantage as a lot of our guild members are going who I already know in real life and I have met Lucie and Aneela as well thanks to the guild.

So, a bit about me. I have been quilting for 3 years although I have been interested in it a lot longer. I love all sorts of other crafts as well but the quilting and fabric stashing has become my obsession.

I am 42 (yuck) and some days I feel 62, others I can't believe I'm out of my 20s! How did time pass me by this quickly?

I am single and I have never had kids. Sort of by choice, sort of because I lacked the other half of the biological material needed to make one.

For a living I work contracting in IT managing the testing of systems to go into depots. I can straddle the line between real tech geeks and hairy arsed knuckle dragging warehousemen. Trust me there is a line - I once got a call at 1am from a depot bloke as he couldn't understand what the woman on system support was telling him about his problem!

In total contrast to all that I am also a part time student as I finally decided what I wanted to do with my life at the age of 40 so I am halfway through a counselling course (hopefully halfway anyway if the coursework I hand in on Tuesday passes!)

I can be shy, stroppy or giggly - sometimes all at once. But I think next weekend I will mostly be happy.

And like quite a few others, I hate photos of myself but I took this a few minutes ago,


and this one to show just what I think of the first one (well truthfully it wasn't the first one, I took about 10 and that was the least offensive!)

23 comments:

Lynne (Lily's Quilts) said...

woohoo c u next week!!!

Flying Blind... said...

Yay - see you at last next week xxx

Charlotte said...

eeeeeeeeeeeeek!!!!!!

:-D

Anne said...

Oh lucky you, you have a modern quilt guild in London. See you next weekend!

Sue Bone said...

So envious of you being able to participate in the Modern Quilt Guild movement. See you on Saturday.

Amy said...

Hey Shevvy - glad we have a class together - looking forward to giggling with you :)

two hippos said...

see you next weekend!

Kelly said...

See you on Saturday Shevvy :)

susan said...

Love the photos! See you next weekend and have a great time tomorrow in Paris with Leanne!

Pippa Parsons said...

see you on Saturday :O) My DH is an IT contractor too so I know exactly what you mean...a very fine line lolol

Catherine said...

look forward to meeting you on Saturday

Leanne said...

I love that last picture!

moira said...

I'm getting really giddy now. Looking forward to meeting you next week x

(PS love your quilt wall hanging)

Katy Cameron said...

Nice to meet you, see you next weekend

Helsie said...

Lovely to finally put a face to the name.... and a nice one too!!!
Have a great time!
Cheers

Justine said...

Haha! Love the pics - see you at the weekend!

Anne-Lise at Rag, Tag, Bobtail said...

Great pics! :-)
Have a great time next weekend!

Tammy said...

Hi, I loved the photos and your "about me" info. I hope you have a blast at your Modern Quilt Guild.

Laura Taylor said...

Hehehe! See you at the weekend!

Sarah said...

LOL I ended up with a photo like that the last time I attempted it...
See you in london!

Betty said...

I like you: you're mad (like the rest of us)!
See you!

Annabella said...

See you at the weekend Shevvy!

Nicole Follow the White Bunny said...

yay, a fellow lefty!