Saturday, 21 July 2012

Bits and bobs

Its been nearly two weeks since I last blogged. Isn't it funny how sometimes it just drops off your radar as something to do. I didn't consciously leave it so long, it just happens.

Because I'm working again I see that as justification to feed my fabric addiction. My newest find is a range that is simply beautiful, more so than in the pictures. Its called LillyBelle and I got mine from Annie.



I also won a prize in the Finish a Long. I have to admit, I passed on Rhonda's needleturn kit, it just wasn't something I would ever do so I ended up with a $10 voucher from http://www.quiltnbee.biz/ and used it to buy this Anthology fabric. I really like the firework effect.


Last week Kaffe Fassett and Brandon Mably were at Tricolette for a book signing of their new knitting book. I got inspired to do some more knitting and have started a scarf using Rowans Kidsilk Haze. Its so fine and very delicate but it makes up wonderfully. I'll post pics soon. They also brought along a few of their quilts so we had a good look at those.

And amazingly I've even done some sewing. I finally took the plunge and joined not one but two Bees. The first is the FQR Kinky Bee which came out of the Fat Quarterly Retreat. These are my first blocks for it.



The second one is more of a challenge as it is an English Paper Piecing Bee so all hand work. I've only finished one of this months so far, but the other is underway.

I also finished off this little quilt. When the London Modern Quilt Guild pick a charity (we've had a few problems with the first option) this is for that. I used bits of Central Park along with Kona White in the blocks. I tried to do freeform wavy lines for the quilting, something I'm still not comfortable with so wanted to practice it.


I used four fat quarters from Lizzie Houses Hello Pilgrim for the backing and another one for the binding. Its only little, after washing it's ended up at 35x35inches. A nice easy size to manage.

5 comments:

Charlotte said...

love the little quilt!

Leanne said...

You are doing great with your bee blocks, and the little quilt is wonderful! I also think you get an A in shopping, those are lovely fabrics.

Cynthia L. said...

Ir eally love the fabrics you showed first. The bird cage fabric is adorable. Have you got any ideas for that fabric yet? Glad you are back to blogging. It does get away from you sometimes!

Love the quilt too!

Kelly said...

Your bee blocks are great and that little quilt is so cool!

StitchyAddiction said...

Oh, I am doing that scarf with Rowan too. I fell I love with the sample at Liberty.
Mel