Sunday, 11 May 2014

More finishes

I have been attempting to take control of my stash and stop buying new stuff when I have so much in the house I can't even remember where it came from.

Using up some bits for charity quilts also gives me the opportunity to practice quilting on the frame.

I gathered a couple of mini charm packs I received in the goody bags at the last two fat quarterly retreats and sewed them together, I then found a jelly roll that I had absolutely no memory of and added all the pink strips from it to make this top.

When I quilted it I wanted to try feathers for the first time on the frame and just used the strips for guides. It's simple but effective. I added a stripes binding also from stash and it was done.

With the remaining strips from the jelly roll I went even simpler and came up with this.

I wanted to try large pebbles for the quilting. I've always found them awkward and thought the frame might help. It did a bit, but it still didn't feel very comfortable for me so I might not bother with them again. They do give a nice texture though.

I used the same binding, it was still out so why pack it away?

Both this quilts ended up at around 30x40 inches and are being donated to charity.

Both were on my finishalong list for this quarter so I feel very good at having finished them.

 

4 comments:

MetroQuilter said...

Look great, well done

poppyinstitches said...

they are super brilliant stash busting quilts!!

Shay said...

Two brilliant finishes Shevvy. I love stash busting quilts. That quilting is pretty schmick too!

Katy Cameron said...

Congrats on your finishes!