Thursday, 22 May 2014

MQG challenge

Now that the London Modern Quilt Guild has joined up officially, I got to take part in their latest fabric challenge using Michael Miller fabric. Full details of the challenge can be found at their blog.

I really didn't know what I wanted to do with it but I was inspire by Susan's wonderful quilt as you go cushion. It's a technique I've always wanted to try so why not now?

I pieced a few strips together and then used the QAYG method to do a very wonky log cabin type of arrangement. I also went for wonky matchstick quilting which again is something I hardly ever do but wanted to give it a go.

Slowly but surely it grew but I didn't know what it was growing into.

Eventually I had a big enough piece and I was contemplating a tote bag, then the idea of adding words popped into my head. Now I have only recently finished my first quilt with words and swore to myself never again. I don't enjoy appliqué techniques. But the idea stuck and over a couple of days the words I wanted came to me.

They are all related to the work I've been doing on myself during my counselling course.

LOVE - love myself, something I haven't always been able to do

LIVE - live in the moment, the past is over and it can only hurt me if I let it

DREAM - I suffered insomnia for years, I cherish it now when I sleep well and have lots of dreams

With those thoughts in mind I have named this piece "Remember" and it is going to hang in my stairwell so I see if every day when I get up in the morning. To remember how important these things are for me and how hard I've had to work to experience them.

It's finished at 26x38 inches and I added some kona white for the words and the binding.

 

6 comments:

Di said...

It is lovely and I like the meaning behind your words. Di x

mumasu said...

It's great, so bright. The words are really inspirational :)

Gertie Pye said...

Love this little quilt Shevvy! And the lovely words you chose - all very positive. A quilt that makes me smile!

Leanne said...

What a lovely quilt and such a nice story.

Shay said...

Love this creation Shevvy and the meaning of those words. I think we all need to make something like this so we remember to love ourselves and not take our day to day lives so seriously.

How did you find the QAYG? I have been wanting to do that forever but putting it all together at the end kind of scares me a bit.

poppyinstitches said...

I love your quilt, wonderful story with so much meaning. x