Saturday, 31 May 2014

Quilting mojo - I love you

I've been quilting up a storm this week. It's half term and most of my course work is finished so I have been able to completely relax and spend lots of time with the frame.

First up was my tumbling blocks. I love making this, it was the first top I use my design wall for and I also got over my fear of y seams making it. I have been pondering ideas for ages and finally got a chance to play.

I used white aurifil and tried all sorts of feathers and then had a few of the blocks quilted more simply as a place to rest the eye.

Here is the best I could do of the whole quilt after it came of the frame.

 

And some detail pics.

 

It isn't bound yet, I am saving that for a few weeks. My guild is having an exhibition space at the festival of quilts this year and we need to pick entries soon. If this gets selected it will need a sleeve so I am waiting to bind until I know.

It's roughly 56x76 inches but I imagine it will shrink when it is completed.

And to see the quilting in more detail this is the back.

 

Next I loafed up my migraine top. I hardly ever name quilts but I had this named when I was designing it. I spotted this two colours together and just had to use them.

 

It is supposed to hurt your eyes, that's the look I was going for and so I quilted it in a simple zigzag to add to the effect. After the hours spent on the tumbling blocks, this was a doddle.

I have now got my third quilt of the week on the frame. This was from a bee I was in a couple of years ago. It's about halfway done now.

 

And the great thing is I have reduced my pile of tops waiting to quilt to just 4.

I've had a great week, hope you have as well.

 

6 comments:

Canadian Abroad said...

The tumbling blocks quilting is simple amazing. Get it in the festival!

Shay said...

The tumbling blocks quilt is simply gorgeous. There aren't enough superlatives to describe how amazing that quilting is...

Pink Stitches said...

You have been busy :) The quilting on the tumbling blocks is amazing, a gorgeous set of quilts!!

Leanne said...

I love your quilting, you are amazing and an inspiration!

poppyinstitches said...

wow the tumbling blocks are just stunning! Been so busy, love the migraine quilt too, so bright and zingy

Catrin Lewis said...

I really need to get more adventurous with my frame. I used it for the first time in six months last week and chickened out and went for a simple stipple :-( Soy Amado is next up - you've inspired me to go a little more mad x