Thursday, 2 October 2014

Balls!

No! I'm not being rude, this post is all about balls.

Nice balls! Pretty balls! Decorative balls! Balls that use up scrap fabric.

For ages I've been reading up on Temari and Kimekomi and over the last few months I've given them a go.

Kimekomi is decorating a balls with fabric, you draw a design onto a styrofoam ball, cut the lines and prod the fabric into the ball. I found great tutorials here.

Temari is a bit more complicated, but it is a great way to use up all those various threads hanging around. Again, I've been using a styrofoam ball, but you can build your ball up from any old fabric or wadding as well.

There are lots of instructions and tutorials for different designs here. I've only touched ideas from the beginners category but they are very effective.

And here are all my balls together, aren't they pretty?


 

7 comments:

Shay said...

Wow. Love seeing all the balls displayed like that . They look incredible. Im off to google the technique.

You do like to play with different stuff don't you!

Leanne said...

These are very pretty and I bet they are fun to make too.

mumasu said...

Pretty, pretty, pretty :)

Marg said...

You have some lovely balls!

Gisella said...

They look amazing! That must have taken such a lot of work.

pennydog said...

Wow these are fab!!!

Dianne Neil said...

There things are truly marvelous! And the quilts in the further posts are so beautiful. I like the ones with the 16 sides stars. They look so rich and even Christmas like. I visited Writer's Page at au.essay-writing-place.com and found some good results of Christmas decorations there. I wonder if your Christmas was so pleasant as mine.
With love,
Di